Life-long Dream Fulfilled!


I received some fantastic news this week. Actually, it’s news that fulfills a lifelong dream. My work is being published in a quarterly magazine: Life Images, a publication of Stampington Press.

I submitted the above photo of the Red-eyed Leaf Frog I took in Costa Rica. I also submitted an essay about the picture and what role it played in beginning my greeting card business. I am excited beyond measure.

I first submitted a proposal to a magazine in 2001 and this is the first time I’ve ever been accepted – eight years later. I recommend determination, continual reading and study to always improve one’s abilities, and then also, to actually submit! Since eight years have passed between now and my first submission, one may think I’ve spent these years walking from my mailbox, disgruntled with yet another rejection. However, this is only the second time I’ve ever submitted. I hit a long, dry spell – huh?

I guess it could have happened sooner, but it didn’t! So I’m thrilled today instead of sometime long past – and that’s all right! Work within your own pace, not evaluating your worth with what you accomplish or don’t.

Someone once asked me to tell them about myself. I started with what I did for a living only to be interrupted by the inquirer. He said, “I didn’t ask what you do, I asked who you were.” I was momentarily stumped.

I’ve thought of this encounter often when I begin to feel frantic to accomplish something – anything – as long as I’m doing, I’m all right. I’m okay about myself and the space I inhabit if I’m contributing – I just have to keep going, going, going, going - until I don’t or can’t.

I also have queried my body if some of my illnesses, especially the cancer of 2007 have resulted because of my inability to process change and turmoil, peacefully. We’ve all read the reports of stress and its effects on the immune system. My body did not communicate its secrets, but my mind said, “Of course, you Dolt! You think YOU are exempt from stress-related illness? Think again and get a grip on yourself!”

I’ve finally realized I’m probably not going to discover a cure for cancer (you notice, I still said probably, old habits die hard) or write a great American novel, but everyday when I get up, I set my intention for the day. Lately, it’s just been a stated desire to let me be the best I can be on this day of my rising and to experience joy in the doing.

It’s a new peaceful way to live.

Ironically, it seems now that I’ve taken the pressure off myself, I’m accomplishing more that I did when I was a frantic pursuer of tasks. I show up, am willing, listen to my body and heart for direction and respond accordingly.

Look for my first published piece in April’s edition of Life Images. It can be found in the magazine section of Barnes and Noble Bookstore. (I do autographs! HA!)

Pleasant dreaming!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tawnee! How exciting to be published and to enjoy a life-long dream. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you ... You are a model for persistence and for being able to see the positive when you're not feeling movement or progress. I think we're all looking for that peaceful way to live ... your thoughts/paradigms are inspirational! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete